In addition to the children and school communities in 50 US states involved in making the mosaic, a European company PhotoPearls® was also involved. Looking at the company's website the sell a product which includes a digital software program to convert pictures into bead charts, sticky paper to print bead charts on and beads that adhere to the paper. In the close-up of Obama's eye below the beads look a little like large plastic delica beads.
Here is how the company described their product:
The standard edition of PhotoPearls is our basic concept that contains everything you need to get started with creating your own bead art. The enclosed software allows you to pearlify patterns of your own digital images.
- A box with 15,000 beads in 30 assorted colours.
- Four peg boards that can be assembled into a larger bead board.
- Two glue sheets that are adhesive on both sides.
- A white/brown piece of cardboard on which to glue the first bead picture.
- A CD disc for installation on your computer.
If you look at the comments on various sites where the mosaic was reported there is clearly controversy about the idea of a large mosaic of the US president being on public display. What do you think?
Sources I used - also most have places where you can post a comment.
More sites with articles about the mosiac - most allow you to post comments.